DISCLAIMER

The information in this blog is solely my opinion. A lot of these topics are out of my scope of practice as a massage therapist and are not meant to be a substitute for medical care or the opinion of a qualified licensed professional.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Massage styles: Deep Tissue Massage

Welcome to post #2 in my series of different types of massages. If you have a specific style you'd like to see covered or have a question about any style I cover, feel free to leave a comment and I will address it for you!



Deep tissue massage can be a difficult topic to discuss. The reason is because in the recent surge in popularity of massages, the term "deep tissue" has not been very well defined. To some therapists, deep tissue means the same as a Swedish massage, using the same techniques only slightly modified to access deeper muscles. To others, deep tissue means accessing extremely deep muscles in a massage that is not meant for relaxation. One thing that's agreed upon, however is that deep tissue is generally more focused on pain relief rather than general stress and tension reduction.

There are more definitions as to what a deep tissue massage is that I won't list, but I think you get the point. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my "To go green or not to go green; The organic question" post, much like the word "organic" has become a marketing word with little meaning in some cases, I feel like the same thing has happened with the term "deep tissue." Every (legitimate) massage establishment you will see offers deep tissue on their menu of services because that is what the public has come to expect. Because of this, I have drawn the conclusion that there is no such thing as a Deep Tissue Massage but instead a category in which massages can be put into. There are many types of massages that access deeper muscles and tissues and can be classified as as a deep tissue massage.

As for how I personally handle a request for a deep tissue massage, I ask my clients for clarification as to what they expect: deeper pressure with a full-body massage (Swedish) or if they want more targeted work on knots in specific areas and not full-body (Trigger Point Therapy, which I will cover next). I do not have a specific deep tissue massage on my menu although it's mentioned along with a Swedish massage.

9 comments:

jindi said...

Deep tissue massage is a type of massage aimed at the deeper tissue structures of the muscle and fascia, also called connective tissue. Deep tissue massage uses many of the same movements and techniques as Swedish massage, but the pressure will generally be more intense. It is also a more focused type of massage, as the therapist works to release chronic muscle tension or knots (also known as "adhesions.")

Will A Deep Tissue Massage Hurt?

It shouldn't hurt, but it's likely to be a bit more uncomfortable than a classic Swedish massage. You should always feel free to speak up if the pressure is too much for you.

It's important to drink a lot of water after a deep tissue massage to help flush lactic acid out of the tissues. If you don't, you might be sore the next day.

It's possible that you might feel some soreness the day after a deep tissue massage even if you DO drink water. This just means a lot of waste products were flushed out of the tissues. It should pass within a day or so.

How Fast Will I Get Results With A Deep Tissue Massage?

It's important to be realistic about what one deep tissue massage can achieve. Many people ask for more pressure, thinking that if the therapist just pushes hard enough, they can get rid of all their knots in an hour. This just won't happen.

In fact, undoing chronic knots and tension built up over a lifetime is best achieved with an integrated program that includes exercise, work on your posture and ways of moving, relaxation techniques and a regular program of massage.

Finally, while Toronto Massage Therapy is certainly valuable, you should be aware that gentle styles of massage like craniosacral therapy can also produce profound release and realignment in the body.

Unknown said...

I have been in look for of some information about it almost three time. You served me a lot indeed and analyzing this your publish I have found many new and useful information about this topic.
Massage Table

Brave Boss said...

your blog is excellent....I really liked your blog, appreciate the great information about deep tissue massage.
Deep Muscle Massage Therapy

Unknown said...

Great article! I am sure this is going to help a lot of people
Massage Table Packages

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing! This is really interesting! I could really use a deep tissue massage in kansas city!

tyleragent said...

Thanks for the post, and I remember when I had my first deep tissue massage. And the next day, I was in immense pain it felt like I was in a fight. And I ended up losing, but over the long run it ended up feeling really good.

Unknown said...

I like seeing these kinds of posts. I have been wanting to get a deep tissue massage in Kansas City, KS for a while now. Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the article, and after reading this reminded me of when I got my first deep tissue massage. And it was a mix of pain and relaxation when I was getting the massage. But the next day I was in so much pain. But it was wort it though.

Unknown said...

You're a really good teacher, thanks for sharing. My husband is going to love me after this. He always has deep knots that I can't get out so I'll try this.

http://www.relaxmassagecenter.com/Spa_Services_Bellevue_WA.html